From:
Debra Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:19:32 -0400
Hi Everyone,
As most of you know I had a complaint about Petco near Devon, Pa.  and I
was told to contact the VP for Petco and let me say the turn around time
on their correspondence was very quick.  Below is the followup on this
place.  I think that someone must have told the store about the litter
since it was clumping litter and up their little noses when we were in the
store.I told them that I will not visit that particular store again but it
did not alter my view of Petco since other stores were not like this one.
So I am sharing the note on the FML to let you know that if you ever have
a problem with the conditions in a store please let someone know.  I feel
better.  Maybe I should stop again in case they don't follow up.  I will
keep this note and take it with me.  :-).  Have a great day Love, Debbie

Hi Debbie,
My name is Steve Dubeck.  I am the Regional Companion Animal Coordinator
for the Pa.  area.  I am sorry to hear of you disappointing visit to our
Haverford store.  In response to your concerns and to insure these animals
are receiving nothing less then the best care, I made an unannounced visit
to the store this afternoon (Tue.  10/16/01).

Here are some of my discoveries:

The ferrets were housed in an acrylic habitat.  This habitat is a an older
model we stopped using about three years ago because the slightest contact
caused surface scratches.This habitat has quite a few surface scratches!
The habitat is fine for ferrets.  I actually prefer it to the glass
habitats because the acrylic is a much better insulator then glass.
The cage litter was Care Fresh- a recycled newspaper product which is
virtually dust free and excellent for ferrets.  The litter in the pan was
a pelleted litter which is also good for these guys.  There was a plastic
igloo hiding place and a hammock in the cage.  This is not enough "toys"
for these active little guys!  The cage had minimal feces and maintenance
schedules were current.

Here are some of the directions I gave to the store:

Place more toys in the habitat to keep these guys active.  Do not put
clumping litter in the cage with ferret pups.Pelleted litter is
acceptable.  If the feces has to be removed 100 times a day, remove it 100
times a day.  The care standard was high today (a weekday), The same
standard must be realized on the weekends as well!

I am sorry you did not leave the store with a positive perception of
Petco.  We care for our animals with the same level of compassion that we
care for our personal pets.  Even though the store you visited was not the
prototypical Petco, They still must provide that same level of care to our
animals.  The management team fully understood this by the end of my visit
today.  Please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask] or you may page
me at (800) 730-3239 if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks for your concern,
Steve Dubeck
Petco Animal Supplies Inc.
RCAC Mid Atlantic (R07) South