From:
Melissa Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:01:07 -0500
Hey I am mostly a lurker here and since I also subscribe to many other
lists, I usually end up deleting emails when I'm not interested in asking
something.  So if this subject has already been discussed, forgive me.

I know that hair falling out of tails can be one of the first symptoms of
adrenal disease.  However, I have never heard of it choosing 4 ferrets all
at the same time.  Also, it only seems to be coming out of the underside
of the tails.  I have 3 males and one female.  It seems to be affecting
one male more than the others.  I give them baths every couple weeks and
change their litter everyday.  I switch litters sometimes.  Usually I use
the dust free but last time I had my husband go get the litter for me and
he got the cheap clay stuff.  This problem WAS occuring with the dust free
litter, but seems to be worse now.

I see now they have pine pellet litter.  Pine, however, has oils in it
which hurts small animals like hamsters, gerbils, mice, etc.  I wonder if
anyone has used this and if there were any ill effects on their ferrets.
Also, did it help with the smell??

And if anyone has had the tail problem please let me know what it seems to
be related to so I can try to fix it.  My ferrets are otherwise VERY happy
and healthy little guys.

Thanks for all the help ahead of time.  I would appreciate private emails,
since I have a tendency to not want to read the whole list.

Melissa (human)
Spaz, Sox, Aspen & Badger (ferrets)
Spreit (great dane pup)
Jezzebelle (lab/dane foster pup)