From:
Especially Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 10:32:35 -0600
It really saddens me to hear of Molly being euthanized for being blind.  I
have stated in many posts that 90% of the vets out there in this country
really don't know squat about ferrets.  The vet that made the decision to
euthanize Molly was one of them.  He falls into the category of vets that
declaw ferrets and advise that fruits and vegetables are ok to feed your
ferret.

As far as blaming the owner of the ferret, I place my trust in my vets,
but if I'm not sure, I always get a second opinion, especially when
euthanasia is recommended.  I have had many blind and special needs
ferrets.  I can remember at least 10 blind ones and over 50 special needs
ones, including Kodo the paralyzed ferret, who is on an animal planet
show securely strapped in his modified roller skate.  He lived here for
more than two years with his disability.  We had to manually express his
bladder every few around the clock , but the reward of his kisses was more
than enough to keep us and the volunteers.  The there was Amy, Now named
Stumpy, had a cancerous tumor on her left leg and shoulder.  We chose to
amputate instead of euthanasia as she was only 1 yrs old.  You can even
tell she misses the limb.  She jumps and climbs and still get into things
and was adopted by one of my many clients who prefer to adopt just special
needs kids.  We have had to make the decision to amputate 3 times now.
all with great results.  We are fortunate to have a large base of clients
vs.  other rescues and have many such wonderful ferret mommies and daddies
who adopt special needs kids.  Posting on this list before ending ones
life is one good way of finding them a home.  Many here would open their
homes to a special needs kid vs. letting them die.  Life is a precious
thing.

Treat your pets as you would a family member.  You won't regret it.

Hugs to all,
Ferretguy