Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:12:37 -0400
Thank you Rick for clarifying the situation with the Layton, UT ferrets.
It is much better to have a witness closer to the source.  Unfortunately,
many folks get collector- itis, and for the sake of the ferrets it seems
this is again the case.  Collectors are a breed of people (and there have
been many articles published about this phenomenon) most always they have
unresolved personal issues and a need to "fix" things.  But 255 ferrets is
far too many ferrets - I figure they weren't enough to fix the caretakers
problems for now even they have escalated.

I would hope the ferret community rallies behind defense attorneys for the
ferrets rather than for a zealous collector so that those ferrets can get
into qualified shelters and families while they have some quality time.  It
is wonderful to have a big heart-- but we need to remember as volunteers &
caretakers that too many is not quality- with many prayers these ferrets
may be able to start over in a place where there is a end to cages and
collective residence.

I ask that those donating funds make sure they work in the best interest
of the ferrets.

ALicia
a shelter volunteer.