From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:40:48 -0700
>From:    Sandi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fake MF Ferrets?
>For the past 6 years we've not seen any "faked" MF ferrets, but just this
>week I took in 5 young ferrets who may very well be "fakes".  Their ear
>tattoos are two dots, but they're in the wrong position, are larger and in
>the wrong direction.  The ink also appears as though it has "run," so that
>the tattoos look blurred or like larger than usual dots.  Is this what the
>"fakes" look like?

Great timing on this since this is what I was debating!

Were these five dumped off by the same person/people?  I would love to come
and take a look at them to see what you are talking about.  In fact, I have
someone who is looking to get a second ferret, and is a vet tech and loves
animals.  This is the first time I have heard of this in Washington.  I
would imagine that whoever dropped them off, told you that they were
obtained from a pet store?  Please elaborate.  It might be good to call
Marshall Farms about this and also give them the name of the person who
dropped them off.  Marshall appears to be really concerned with "fakes"
so this might give them some valuable information and possibly they can
then find this source of "fakes".

Until I see this widespread epidemic of MF "fakes", I will hold my position
that it is being blown way out of proportion as a smokescreen for Marshall
Farms.

AGAIN, I urge those of you who have experienced "fakes" to come forward
and post your experiences.  I just have not seen anything other than two
postings (now) about this.  If it truly was so widespread, more would be
coming forward and Marshall Farms would be more concerned because it is
cutting into their profits and I am quite sure, that IS a concern.

Also, with all the bad rap that Marshall Farms gets, why on earth would
"faking" an MF ferret make it more appealing?  A true head-scratcher.

The mystery continues....