From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 14:54:54 -0700
I live in CA CA land, and had never even seen a ferret until a year ago.
I became interested and have learned a lot about them during the last
year.  I have read with interest, and laughed, and cried with you every
day on FML for over a year.  I am afraid to post... even anonymously....
for fear of being found out by the Feds.

I am frustrated now,though, and would like your opinions.  Some California
posts show up on your newsletter here, and some are not anonymous.  Twice
this week a post has been sent from Micheala in CA (not anonymous) looking
for a home for her babies.  I have emailed her in response to her post
twice and not heard back from her.

My question is, and forgive my ignorance, but can't the Feds monitor this
newsletter and track down ferret owners in California?  Perhaps if Jeanne
Carley reads this she could shed some light on the subject for me.  When I
send a response to a California subscriber on FML and don't hear back from
them I'm afraid it's a trap and someone will come knocking on my door.

Finally, all you lucky ferret owners in every state but California, please
know how lucky you are that you can enjoy your fuzzies in the daylight,
take them for walks, and live without the fear of having them taken from
you and killed, or the fear of being jailed yourself.  I pray someday we
will have this freedom in California.

Dooks to all!
The California Outlaws

[Moderator's note: Well, it wouldn't be the feds, and ISPs typically
require a court order to get a subscriber's address info, but sure, at
least in theory, it can happen.  I don't know what the chances are of
someone responding to a poster getting "nabbed" -- I have no idea how
that would work legally.  The opportunity for such people to post
anonymously is always there - whether or not they use it is their choice.
Most don't.  BIG]