From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:34:06 -0400
>Rabies question (animals in general, not just ferrets) - Why are animals
>that have bitten killed and a brain sample taken?  More accurately, why
>are they still handled this way?  I recall this practice from my childhood
>decades ago--surely someone has developed a less drastic method of
>checking for the rabies organism?

Nope, that is the only choice we have.  Believe me, all vets would prefer
something less gruesome than decapitation.  I have clients routinely ask
me to test their animals for rabies - apparently the method is not common
knowledge.

-Dr. Karen

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is provided for general informational purposes only.  It is
in no way intended as a replacement for a consultation with a qualified
licensed veterinarian.  If you are concerned about your pet's health, you
should seek the advice of your regular veterinarian as soon as possible.

[Sukie note: what rabies does is that it progresses from the site of
infection up nerves to the brain.  In the brain it multiplies, and only
after that does it begins to move down nerves to bodily sites.  It is
AFTER this has happened that rabies is able to be transmitted by the
infected animal.  At that point it shows up in saliva, in eyes, etc.
The only way that it can be transmitted before this time is if an animal
which in within the species can catch it from eating infected neurological
tissue catches it that way (by eating an infected animal's nerve tissue);
a number of animals can NOT get it by that oral route including ferrets
and cats.]