From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:45:14 -0700
I am kicking myself this morning because I had written down an 800# for
the Animal Rescue in New York and forgot to bring it to work with me.  I
had planned to include it in this post.  If I have time today, I will
find that number.  It was posted all over our local news yesterday, and
basically deals with all the pets whose mommys and daddys are not
returning home (or are assumed to not be returning home).  If anyone has
this number, please post it.

The past days have been awful.  I am on the verge of tears most of the
day, so bad that my husband has now banned me from turning on the TV.
Today, I was too scared to even get on the bus - he had to drive me to
work.  Last night, some violence occured that was directed at Muslims
outside a Mosque in my area.  Police were able to detain the suspect who
is in the hospital after drunkenly crashing his car into a telephone pole.
My feelings on this are truly mixed.  I don't condone ANY acts of violence
but at the same time, I don't want to see my tax-paying dollars at work
protecting a place of worship.  I feel there are much more important
things to protect at this time.  I would feel this way regardless of the
religion.  Our forces need to focus on keeping the streets safe, not
keeping churches, synagogues or mosques guarded.  In light of what has
happened, my view is that people should worship at their own risk.  Those
with a strong religious faith can survive by worshipping at home in
private, if they are so scared of more violence.  Let me reiterate that I
am not against the right to worship, I just don't think church and state
belong together.  I also don't feel that Psalm 23 belonged in President
Bush's speech - that further horrified me.  Some of you may disagree with
me, and that is your right.  I come from two different religions - dad was
jewish, mom was raised christian.  I have been involved with both.  I
simply feel that people's religious beliefs should not be protected by our
state or city governments.  Please think twice before sending me an
uncivil response.  Anyone who claims to have a strong faith, should not
stoop to such.  Yes, I do intend to take part in the moment of silence at
12:30pm today, but I don't view that as a religious activity.  I do feel
bad for any Muslim who is chastised, hurt, etc...as a result of what has
happened.  This was an isolated faction that caused this and nobody should
assume that just because someone is Muslim, they condone such activities.

My brother is in Nicaragua right now, travelling.  He is in total shock and
the reaction there has been very supportive towards our country.  Let's all
hope and pray that no further acts of violence occur and that a solution on
how to deal with this situation comes quickly with those involved or
supporters of those involved be brought to justice in a quick and meaningful
manner.  I am mixed on my feelings on this, as well.

All I know is that America is certainly under attack.  Please donate and
help out as much as you possibly can.  This is a time for love, not hate.
Life as we know and enjoy it and the freedoms we have, will not be put
asunder by terrorist activities!