From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:58:20 -0700
First of all, Danielle who posts under a nymh account is NOT me.  There
must be two Danielle's on the FML.

Second, if someone receives ferrets that they believe are being passed off
as MF, and you have the name of the person who is directly doing this, why
not call MF?  Don't you think that MF would want to know and possibly
pursue it since they claim it is such a large problem?

I agree that first time owners might not research MF or any other large
farm until after the purchase.  That is usually when people start getting
interested in finding out more on ferrets (I wish it was the reverse,
sigh).  Yet there are those who research animals before obtaining them,
so getting the word out and educating them is important.  Unfortunately,
people buy MF ferrets without knowing and then find that they are faced
with a seriously ill ferret.  This has happened numerous times and MF
says "well, what do you expect, percentage-wise we have the most ferrets
out there."

I totally disagree with that statement mainly because my percentage of MF
ferrets that have been unhealthy (JL, Insulinoma, adrenal) has been 75%.
I have tracked how many of the rescues I have been involved with or have
fostered, and let's see, 15 out of 20 MF ferrets have had major illnesses
(adrenal, JL or insulinoma) by age 3.  This does not even count the ferrets
that have had problems as a result of botched descent and/or spay/neuter
problems.  Gee, I guess the ferrets I have seen have just been the unlucky
exception?  The numerous Petco calls I have had to foster ferrets that have
been injured in shipping or have respiratory problems are not even part of
the numbers I am referring to.  Do you see why the percentage explanation
that MF has provided does not work for me?  I have also spoken with
numerous shelters who have the same experiences.  Please don't use the
"fake" Marshall Farms ferret excuse.  If it were that widespread, again,
don't you think MF would do something?  I don't even acknowledge that they
are "behind the scenes" because there would be no reason to hide it.  It
would benefit them much more to uncover and make visible those distributors
who are engaged in such practices.  Again, if it was that rampant that
there are this many distributors who are doing this, MF would be much more
concerned.  I don't see them stepping up to the plate on this except to use
it as a smokescreen/reason for so many unhealthy ferrets.

On another note, I know of a shelter in my area who is/has refused to adopt
ferrets out to those who are VERY capable (even people who work with
ferrets on a daily basis and are willing to take in ferrets with terminal
health problems).  This shelter is allowing their own silly, personal
grievances get in the way of ferrets being adopted out to good homes.  I
worry about the ferrets, not the people involved or personal feelings.  If
someone is qualified to adopt a ferret (screened with important questions,
etc...) personal feelings or who the person is friends with, should not
enter the picture.  Aren't shelters in it for the ferrets?  I don't care
for certain shelter operators in my area, BUT I still refer people to them
because it is the ferrets I care about, NOT the ridiculous squabbles that
ensue.  I just don't understand how anyone could refuse adoption to a
qualified and responsible person who can provide love, outstanding care
(both veterinary and personal) and a long-term commitment.  I scratch my
head.  This could be why certain shelters end up with too many ferrets?
I don't know.  I only know about one in my area who seems to evaluate a
ferret owner based on their own personal issues, not what is in the
ferrets' best interests.

I am not generalizing about shelters, I am sure this is an exception.  Due
to BIGs policies, I will not name the shelter operator I am referring to,
it is not necessary.  Hopefully others will agree that the above is not in
the interest of the ferrets and the operator will soon change their tune.

Ok.  I will now step down off of my soapbox.  Please feel free to email me
with civil disagreements.  My opinions and experiences are just that, my
own.  That is what makes this country unique and interesting.