From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:20:56 -0500
We've received donations from SOS and I'm certain many others have too.
What some might think is a lucrative 'business' really isn't.  There
seems to be a select group that donate to causes and when there is a crisis
these are the same ones to donate directly to that cause.  From personal
experience - our yearly incoming donations range from $500-$1,000.  For
those donations I'm extremely appreciative because that is $500-$1,000
that doesn't go on my credit cards or come out of my own pocket.  Those
donations go directly to our vet.  With an average of $7,000 a year on
vet expenses you can see those donations are very helpful.

It is so true that many shelters don't have the time, energy or volunteers
to organize fund raising events and in some areas these events just aren't
profitable.  When we did the Ferret 101 workshops, I was tickled to come
home with an extra $50 yet in other areas that may have been much more.

From time to time the $1 idea comes up.  If we all sent $1 to SOS
that would give them over $3,000 to donate to needy causes.  Or if we went
through the shelter list and sent $1 to each shelter (not in the same
month as most of us couldn't afford to do it that way but over a period of
time) that would give those shelters $3000.  Now it's not likely that
everyone would donate the $1 but even if 1/3 of the FML members did that
would still bring in a substantial amount.

For the shelters that sell items - buying their items helps them and you
get something for your money. :-)  When The Ferret Store started carrying
our toys and 10 commandments that truly helped us and has paid for/is
paying for some of our vet bills.  We still receive a check from iGive
from time to time, though it isn't much it still helps.  Every little bit
helps because that is less money out of the pocket of the caretaker.

I think what our ferret community would find useful is a fund raising task
force.  Perhaps a portion of every ferret event could be donated to SOS and
the task force could work on setting up fund raising events in different
areas.  Many shelters make items to sell and these items could be shipped
to the locations and the total monies could be donated to SOS for
distribution for whomever needs it the most, or the shelter products could
be used to raise funds for just that shelter, or they could pick a shelter
to donate directly to at each fund raiser.  So many ways to raise funds to
help the shelters if we only had a Fund Raising Task Force.  But just as
the SOS ladies give of their time, so would the task force.  It's voluntary
and could be a lot of work and a few headaches, but the rewards are many
(just count all the little fuzzies that are helped). :-)

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity