From:
Dragon Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 06:15:19 -0600
>Subject: Long summer -  Adrenal cancer - Lupron
>
>Errrrrr, do remember that most adrenal tumors are NOT cancer, and for
>those less common ones which are, surgery is the way to go if it's a
>removable one.  Bill, is it time to yet again post the definitions
>cross-post?  If not, just cut this.
>
>Sukie notes: Insulinoma and adrenal disease usually are NOT "cancers":
>most adrenal growths are benign neoplasia and some others tend to not
>spread; insulinomae tend to not spread.  There is yet more on that aspect
>and on why blood tests do not diagnose lymphoma/lymphosarcoma at
>http://www.afip.org/ferrets/Clin_Path/ClinPath.html and elsewhere.
>
>There are multiple pieces of info on the misuse of the term "cancer";
>here's one which combines the marvelous post of a veterinary pathologist
>who is ferret expert (Dr. Bruce Williams) and some dictionary definitions
>from veterinary/medical dictionaries...

Sukie:

Tenaka's and Bubba's cancers were both confirmed by lab analysis.  I do
NOT write what is speculation.  I write only the facts.  Both Tenaka's
tumor on the adrenal gland, and Bubba's tumor's in the lymph nodes were
are cancerous.

To confirm my statements; she can contact Dr.Laura Ivan at Imperial Animal
Hospital (636) 464-0777.

Margaret S.

>The thread on this is pretty good, and both Sukie and Stephanie have
>very valid points.  The terminology of neoplasms can be confusing,
>and I'm sure even vets can be confused from time to time.
>
>The proper term for what you are talking about is neoplasm (or
>literally "new growth).  For one reason or another, a clone of cells
>begins to grow uninhibited by normal substances or mechanisms. The
>word "tumor" may be technically correct, but it is actually non-
>specific - tumor is Latin for a swelling, but it could also be an
>abscess, or anything else that causes swelling - so I try to stay
>away from it.
>
>Now this neoplasm may be benign - without the ability for cells to
>detach into the bloodstream or lymph, move to another tissue, and set up
>shop - or malignant (where they can do this.) The process of microscopic
>piece of a tumor moving to another organ is called metastasis.
>
>Metastasis is the hallmark of malignancy.  The worst tumors have the
>propensity to go anywhere and start growing (like lymphoma).  However,
>we can recognize malignant tumors even before they metastasize, often by
>characteristic features seen under the microscope.
>
>Adrenal carcinomas (malignant adrenal tumors) are interesting neoplasms.
>Although they possess the ability to metastasize, only a small number do,
>and usually only late in the course of disease.  It is likely that they
>do metastasize a lot, but have trouble gaining a foothold in distant
>tissues, so it takes a long time and many attempts if they ever truly
>metastasize.
>
>Insulinomas are generally not malignant tumors as they only very rarely
>metastasize.  The presence of multiple tumors in the same organ over time
>is not metastasis.  We do not understand the mechanism behind the
>generation of these tumors, and when we do surgery to remove them, we
>really are only treating the end point of this process, without address
>the cause.  Thus it is really no surprise that the rate of recurrence is
>about 40% within 10 months.
>
>With kindest regards,
>Bruce Williams, DVM

Love isn't love unless it is free to fly
and return home to you.