From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:30:18 -0700
Yep, seen ferrets like that.  Have 3 in the shelter right now.
Surrendered because they were "unmanageble".  The new boyfiend (not a
typo) was starting to get mean with them because of their antics.

Dantes (named in honor of Edmund Dantes, The Count of Monte Cristo) and
his two cohorts in crime, Max and Dino, collectively known as "The Goof
Troop".  You make one goof & they nail you.

Right now, they are housed in a "4 level" SuperPet Tunnel cage.  The tubes
have been secured with tape and hooked to the cage with metal shower
hooks.  There are THREE leash clips on the door.  Two litter boxes, one
on the floor, a "double box" (one litter box secured to the cage wire
containing a second box with the litter that is actually removed for
cleaning).  The second litter box on an upper level, secured to the cage
wire with THREE plastic clothes hanger clips.  The "food bowl" is a baby
wipe box bottom, secured to the cage wire with THREE plastic clothes
hanger clips.  The water bottle (no way a bowl will retain water for more
than two swim sessions) is triple wired to the cage.  Hammocks are hung as
safety nets between the shelves that pass for "levels" to prevent these
rowdy boys from breaking their fool necks when they wrestle in the cage.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't keep a ferret this spunky in a flimsy SuperPet
cage, but for three big boys, it's the largest we have available and they
actually USE the tubes (most ferrets over 2 or three years old get bored
with them).

For their playtime, in the ferret-room, anything over 6" tall must be
moved at least 6' away from the door barrier (closer than that, they know
they can MOVE it to make a ladder), a 24" tall plexiglass with a 1" PVC
pipe top edge... yes... Dantes CAN get over this barrier... Out of over
200 ferrets that have been through here in the past couple of years, he's
the only one.

They climb, they bounce, they don't have just wings, they have built in
rocket boosters.  During their playtime, they must be checked on every 10
minutes... I REFUSE to put a water bowl and litter box on top of every
stack of cages... they'd just knock them to the floor to watch them
crash...

Max & Dino don't bite very much anymore... just a little ankle or toe nip
to get you to play with them... they do give kisses... like it will make
up for the disaster they created with a roll of paper towels, the bag of
litter, and the big playroom water bowl (No, I don't believe for a minute
that they spilled the water & were just trying to clean it up with the
paper towels & litter!)

They are manageable though... with a LOT of planning and preparation and
understanding... but even then, it IS extremely frustrating when they
slide one by you.

These kids have been at the shelter for quite awhile, and will probably be
there a lot longer... they've already scared off two possible adoptions.
These kids require more than a sense of humor.  The patience of Job MIGHT
help a little.  (We've actually taken Dantes to home interviews to
demonstrate the need for ferretproofing... he ALWAYS drives the point
home.)

All three are deaf DEWs with silver markings... beautiful ... And
adoptable... any takers?(read: Want to find out what Anonymous is up
against?)(Seriously, they will only be adopted to experienced ferret
owners.)   [Texas.  BIG]

Email me, Anon, & we'll compare notes & maybe find a way to reduce the
damage and scream quotient.

==
Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home