From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:19:15 EDT
I came home from work today to find that my sweet, wonderful baby, Pato,
AKA "The Man" had passed away while I was gone at work in his little
hammock.  Pato was fine this morning.  I kissed him good-bye and told him
Mommy loved him and would be back soon.

When I came home at noon, I went to see the babies.  Pato was laying in
his hammock (the hammock his "Aunt Millie" gave us during our whirlwind
meeting at the airport in Dallas......) all tucked in, little chin and
paws poked out.  He must have crossed the Bridge right after I left
because he was no longer warm.........God I don't even want to think
about it.  My poor, precious boy.  He was only five.......

I wrapped him in the hammock he loved so well.  His Daddy and Tio Javier
dug his grave in our backyard.  Tio Javier made him a little cross, and
Tia Blanca cut roses from the bushes for his grave.  All the things his
Mommy couldn't do because she was crying so hard.

Why oh why did he have to go, especially when I wasn't home?  I was only
gone four hours.  He was fine when I left.  Just fine.

Pato was my first ferret, and the one who taught me to love ferrets so.
He would watch cartoons in bed with Angel and with his Daddy.  He would
play chase.  And he was the most spoiledest, pampered, snootiest baby in
the world.  The original "porcelain ferret." Tonight was supposed to be
his tubby night.  He loved his tubbies so.  And I told him when I left
that when Mommy came home everyone would get their manicures and baths.

Oh, dear God, I want my baby back.  St. Francis, please hold Pato in your
arms so he isn't scared.  Tell him his Mommy loves him and is so sorry
she wasn't home when it came his time.  I should have been there to hold
him......

I'm sorry, folks.  There are many tears in the Garcia household this
evening.

Catherine, Snowball, and Elsie - with Eugene, the "German Shepherd Ferret"
Waiting at the Bridge - Hubert and Pato