From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:12:33 -0400
I thought Wolfy brought up some good points in people's decision to
surrender their pets.  However, I still feel pets are given up too easily.
Yes, I am a woman, and yes, I have babies - although they are of the
fuzzie variety - so no, I haven't experienced the full reality of child
rearing.  I do though have a good idea of the responsibilities involved in
having a child and a pet.

When a person gets a pet they should research the pet and be aware of it's
needs.  This includes knowing it's lifespan and making a commitment for
their entire life.  Yes, major life-changing circumstances can occur with
extreme changes in health, financial situation, and living arrangements.
But I don't consider the decision to move, get married, or have a baby
reasons onto themselves for giving up a pet.

If you are of an age where you know that you want to have a baby in your
future, chances are that you could have one within a ferrets possible
lifespan (10 years).  When people are willing to easily take on and then
later to easily give up a living creature, I question their priorities
and sense of responsibility.  I am sure some people with the best of
intentions honestly find themselves in a situation that they can't handle.
However, I think this is not generally the case.  They are just doing what
is temporarily easier for them without considering what is best for the
animal involved.

Yes, it's great that they look to a wonderful resource such as the FML to
find good parents, but the reality of the situation is that many ferrets
are in overworked shelters.  People shouldn't assume that others will just
step in and give their pet all the love and attention that they had
originally commited to.

I waited many years to have a pet, because as much as I wanted one it
wasn't the right time in my life or the right place to have a pet.  I have
seen many people get pets, and dump them when they're done or can't handle
the pet any longer.  It is usually these same people that later get
another pet.

I looked carefully into ferrets before deciding that I could permanently
give one my heart and a home.  I now have three well loved ferrets.  They
get so much love and attention, and no matter what else changes in my life
that won't.  I have made, and will continue to make, sacrifices for my
ferrets.  Sacrifices of time, money, and other 'non-ferret' priorities.
I love children and have spent a large portion of my working years in
childcare.  I plan on having children in my future.  My ferrets and I will
together adapt.  I am aware that having children is life-altering and will
involve unforseen situations.  But my three fuzzie children are here to
stay, with me.

I realize that not everyone is as committed to their pets as I (and many
others) choose to be, however ferrets and other pets deserve no less than
that full commitment.  If you can't make that commitment, then get a
scoozie.

Risa

If someone can't fully commit to caring for a ferret, well then get a
scoozie.