From:
Heidi Lynne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:54:54 -0700
Greetings all you FML'ers from the Extreme Weezils!

This is in response to Susan and her carpet-digging ferret, Tally.  In
Friday 10.19.01 FML issue, she wrote that he refuses to stop digging up
the carpet and expressed concerns about him being bored, etc.

Boy, do WE have experience with carpet digging!  If it wasn't for the fact
that we moved into a place years ago with us being the final residents
having the current carpet, we would be in BIG trouble come moving out
time!  Almost every single doorway in the place has seen the ravages of
ferret-digging.

The two spots most destroyed - and I am NOT exaggerating when I say
destroyed - are the doorways in front of the master bathroom and the entry
from the ferret room to the kitchen.  The carpet in both places has been
completely pulled away from it's moorings.  I have to be very careful
coming out of the bathroom because there are NAILS sticking up from the
bare floor in that area!

On our website we have a lot of photos of the ferrets, but also one can
see the gradual deterioration of our old carpet.  It is quite devastating
and came as a big surprise to both myself and my husband when we realized
the extent of the damage done.

The moral of this story is : Ferrets love to dig at doorways.  Period.
The only things that can be done include some sort of physical barrier
secured FIRMLY to the area scratched the most.  Even then, our ferrets
decided that they were going to smash through said barrier and continue
the destruction.  Like I said, good thing we are the last people with this
carpet....

We ripped out the carpet in the future ferret room of the house we are
moving into in November.  In it's place we laid linoleum, secured with
wooden baseboard pieces.  In the doorway area we have also placed thick
plastic sheeting, which can be found on rolls in any decent home
improvement store.  They WILL eventually dig through this, but it is
relatively cheap and easily replaced.

Good luck trying to save your carpet!

Heidi and the Extreme Weezils

Heidi Lynne, WebMaster and WeezilMom
[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
http://www.extremeweezils.com - GET WEEZILIZED!
Ferret Cam, Movie Clips, Photos, Stories, Fun, and MORE