From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 02:35:47 -0500
I actually had a ferret who was allergic to one kind of wood pellet for
stoves.  (Don't remember the specific brand.) When her hair came off her
tail, it was in a more rat-tail pattern so I initially wasn't worried, but
washing the tail and all the other things that had worked before weren't
and she just kept getting itchier and itchier so I started worrying about
adrenal, but went though *any* other cause.  I remembered it had started
with the introduction of the litter, and so I switched back.  The itching
stopped almost immediately, and the hair was growing back within two
weeks.  So if the litter seems to be aggravating a problem, GO BACK to a
litter that didn't!

Oh, and washing ferrets every couple weeks could well be way too
frequently for them.  Overproduction of oils, dry skin, and discomfort
can be a real problem.  Once a month at MOST.  I wash mine only when it's
needed...when they've gotten into something, etc.  I will more frequently
wash *parts* of a ferret (tail/feet) if need be, but it's really better
for the ferret to not wash too frequently.  They'll actually smell less
after they stop overproducing oils.

Sue M.