From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:12:02 -0400
>My ferret recently underwent a complete removal of one kidney due to a
>combination of adrenal tumor and a malfunction in this kidney which showed
>in a severely swollen urther.  After this surgical masterpiece, the ferret
>(6 1/2) years old, male) is doing absolutely fine, all blood values are
>normal- except the urea levels, they are 3x higher than normal.  Does
>anybody know which diet one could feed.  Is it true that a diet low in
>protein could help?  how could I make the ferret drink more and would this
>help?  Diet is a problem since the ferret is very spoiled.

While a BUN of #x normal is of concern, it would be interesting to see
what the level of creatinine, phosphorus, and what the urine specific
gravity is in this individual as well.  I try not to make a diagnosis of
renal failure without having all of these values, as occasionally, you
see cases in which there is a marked elevation in one but not the others.

If they are all abnormal, then a diagnosis of renal failure is likely,
and a low-protein diet would be indicated.  Low-protein diets are of some
benefit in prolonging life in animals with renal failure, but do not
appear to have these benefits in older animals with normal renal function.
If your ferret eats kibble, Totally Ferret makes a commercially available
geriatric ferret kibble that probably is worth a try.

Increasing water intake is always a good idea in animals with azotemia -
elevated BUN.  A little salt on the food, a bit of linatone twice a day -
my ferrets generally head straight for the water dish after linatone, and
most importantly, offering water on a frequent basis are all acceptable
ways to help increase water intake.  However, the body has a pretty good
hydrostat, and until his condition becomes quite severe, he will likely
keep himself within normal hydration levels.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM