From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:24:57 -0500
I truly hope that there is some misunderstanding in this situation.  Blind
ferrets certainly DO have a good quality of life.  I've written before
about our Lil Casper who is blind.  You wouldn't know it to look at him,
he plays tube and chase and climbs the ramps just fine.  Just don't move
anything.  He's really funny when he bounces on the bed and all of a
sudden bounces off the side as I try to grab him, but nooooo, he has to be
like a regular ferret and bounce right off the bed.  Doesn't phase him one
bit, he runs around to the ramp and climbs back up and we do it again, and
again, and again.

I've watched some of our oldsters go through periods of adjusting to
blindness and the confusion and frustration does settle in a short time
when they adjust.  Ferrets are very ummmm... adjustable.  I've seen them
adjust from being declawed on all four paws, broken pelvis, broken knee,
spinal injuries.  They adjust to ailments too.

What we do is here is line up what we call specialty homes.  These are
families (even a single person is a family) that want to take the little
ones that have handicaps or long-term ailments.  They are willing to wait
till one needs a loving responsible home so that when they are placed
their life is enhanced.  These families are just like you and me, but they
have room in their home and hearts for a little one that needs special
care.  I'll guide them on home nursing, and I'm always available to come
help if needed.  They have the love and willingness to learn and they know
that even if the little one isn't with them for very long, the fuzzies
know they are well loved and cared for.  The heartache of loss is well
worth the joy of loving.

I dream of becoming financially independent, building a huge house on good
size parcel of land and making the home a place for the ailing or unwanted
fuzzies of the world.... It's all planned out in my head so when the time
comes I'll be ready!  ;-)

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services