From:
Lolli Pop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:45:52 -0400
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who offered condolences on my loss
of Bear Ryan.  It's still hard, especially knowing that his sisters are
sleeping in the cage without him...the food bowl doesn't empty nearly as
fast without him either.  I'll miss him forever, but someone needed him
much more than I.

I wanted to respond to the post about the squeaky toy biter.  I had
(have?) that problem with Bridget.  Bridget is my first fert, a petstore
buy (an impulse buy at that!  Bad Mommy!) and she isn't much of a biter.
She hardly nips when playing, and that's only if she's *really* going at
it.  She will latch on to your finger if you're dumb enough to put it
between the bars of her cage on the rare occasion she's in it.  But,
that's a human fault.  (It does work great for keeping little kids out of
the cage though!) I didn't use to keep squeakers in the house as my
Pitbull would surely chew them up and swallow them, but I am the
constantly paranoid mother, so I decided I needed one in order to train
them to come if they got outside.  I brought it home, squeaked it a few
times, and was promptly bitten on the finger bad enough to draw blood.
I don't think Miss Bridget was going after me, though.  I've heard some
ferrets hate squeakers because th ey have the tendency to sound like a
small kit, or because the frequency is painful to their ears.  I don't
know if either of them are true, I just thought I'd include it.  Anyway,
I let my other three young'uns play with them, but Bridget is normally the
first one to run out when a toy is squeaked.  When that happens, I give
her a treat, and then promptly throw the toy as far away from me, and run.
LoL.  Maybe it's not that exaggerated, but I do move away from her,
because most of the time she's after "that noise" and won't even take the
treat.  Hmmm...I guess I really didn't offer much insight, but at least
now you know you're not alone!

 ...You gotta love the fuzz!

Lolli and the Mini-Zoo (Bridget, Brandon, Zoe, Zeus, Bandit, Smokey,
Grandma [who are missing our dearly departed Bear Ryan]; Molly-cat;
Dykers and Midnight-dogs; Charlie-hamster; Sycamore-boa.)