Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:55:13 EDT
After spending over 6 hours on e-mails and phone calls, I have disturbing
news concerning the Utah ferrets.  To confirm what I am writing please
call PETA at 757 622 7382 ext.  1346 and ask for Lisa.  PETA responded
immediately and has called twice today to speak with Diane Hess of Davis
County Shelter.  Diane Hess informed Lisa that:

1.  The ferrets were kept in a condominium.  At one point, there were a
thousand animals there, and there is a newspaper article on this.

2. The smell is so bad, that for the last one and a half years the county
has tried to get the ferrets out of there.  Neighbors could not stand the
odor.  The ferrets were found with windows closed, and no air or heat on
last Monday and were removed.

3. The County asked Jen for over a year to get ferrets out of there.  The
zoning change is not THE reason the ferrets were taken.

4. One old ferret with cancer has died.  14 ferrets that Jen was sitting
for were returned to the owners.

5.Jen has chosen to give food and water only every other day, though she is
allowed to care for them 6 days a week.

6.Jen may be a collector.  She does not want to adopt ferrets out, and
wants to keep them in a warehouse where she can continue to care for them.
7. The ferrets are not in a shed.  The area has heat and air conditioning.
8.****************The ferrets were not going to be euthanized on
Thursday.***********

9. There is a newspaper article about Jen and the thousand animals in a
condo in a paper that Diane Hess read to Lisa of PETA.

10. The director would like to write on the FML to let us all know her
side of this situation.  Her phone number is 1-801-444-2200.  Will someone
please give her our mailing list info?

11. The director wants to find qualified, genuine shelters for these
animals.  Please contact her if you are one of those shelters and can
take some of the ferrets.

My e-mails and phone calls have brought forth the press and Best Friend
Animal Sanctuary and PETA.  All have been told what I am telling you.
There is a "lunatic" on e-mail, they tell me, spreading around stories of
possible euthanasia of 230 ferrets, animals not allowed food or water and
kept in an area with no air or heat.  Sadly, the lunatic they are talking
about is me.  I was repeating what people I trust informed me of to people
who might be able to help..

So here are two totally different stories.  And there ARE 230 minus15
ferrets that need shelter.  I just don't know if should be with Jen in a
warehouse, or if shelters need to rescue as many ferrets as possible.  I
don't know who to believe.

But** IF** Jen is only feeding and watering the ferrets every other day,
and they are stuck in cages with no exercise, and no volunteers can take
off of work to come in during the day to help--you know there are going
to be deaths.

I pass the baton on now before someone clubs me with it.  The" lunatic "
who loves ferrets and has done her best to try and discover what is
going on..

Lisette