From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 11:07:32 -0700
Hooray for Lynda Galloway's post on selling ferrets...I agree with you.
This has been brought up before and there appears to be two sides to the
issue.  The reasons I have seen from both camps follow:

1) Several have stated that the reason they put a price tag on the ferret
is because they want to make sure the person can afford the ferret and that
it is not someone out looking just to feed their Boa (no offense to those
with snakes).  Some have stated that if the person cannot afford the animal
that they certainly wont be able to afford the vet bills and proper care.

2) Others have disagreed and feel that animals are not merchandise.
Comments have been that the person who is giving up the animal should be
more content with finding a good home, than making money.  This is what I
truly believe (with shelters being the exception since they are
non-profit).  I strongly feel that when someone commits to an animal and
then decides to give it up, that they should not be compensated for their
expenses - they made a poor choice for themselves and should simply deal
with the loss of funds.

Whether or not a person pays for an animal does not determine how that
animal will be treated in the future nor does it determine that they are
knowledgeable or good owners.  A person's monetary situation does NOT
determine what they will do.  I have seen rich people who paid lots of
money for animals and then they disregard the animal after they get bored
with it and the novelty wears off (like a toy).  I have also seen poor
people who scrape and save and sacrifice to make sure their animal gets
good care and love (putting the animal before themselves).  I have
witnessed a homeless man who puts his dog before himself for medical care,
food and shelter.  This man is always around my work and loves his dog -
the dog keeps him going.  I admire his sense of responsibility and
compassion.

I think that if you are giving up an animal, you need to use common sense
and ask the right questions of the adopter.  That will be the only way you
can be sure and confident in their intentions.  Then again, I am sure that
occasionally people are "duped" anyway, but hopefully those situations are
more rare.

Hope this sheds some light on the topic, and some reasoning that I have
heard from both sides of the issue.  There really isn't a right answer on
this, just differing opinions.  Whatever works for the person, and the
ferret is happy and cared for is what counts.

Thanks for listening.