Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 12:49:38 EDT
From:
As someone who was raised to turn the other cheek and to be submissive,
and believe and respect all authority figures -- it is always difficult
for me to go against the grain of childhood behaviors and beliefs enforced
throughout my life.

For anyone else out there who was raised the same--

Just remember to observe, do your homework on a subject, discover all you
can to make a decision, and realize that sometimes the authority figures
in your life are going to be as imperfect as---Well, as imperfect as a
human being.

Cheyene-my old man-had a wound on his face the vet said was a bite.  It
never healed completely, despite isolating him, and I brought him in again
for full blood tests and exam.  I had to ask for the blood tests and
x-rays.  STill I was told that it was nothing more than a bite.  I walked
out knowing the vet was wrong and saying nothing.

A few days ago, I picked up Cheyene and he had a large pussy bleeding
crusty wound on the side of his tiny narrow face.  He had been isolated
for 2 days prior to this, because he was so sleepy and did not appear
well.  I was observing poops, and how much he was eating.

This time I called the vet and spoke with him and said he either needed
to remove the growth and biopsy it, or refund my money for all the tests
so I could go elsewhere--should they insist on their own blood tests and
x-rays..

Cheyene had surgery on Friday, and is recovering but groggy.  The growth
has been sent in for biopsy.  It was NOT a bite.  Cheyene looks horrible.
But the sutures were nicely done, and the vet thinks all the growth was
removed.

I was polite but firm with the vet, whose office is close by to me.  I
appreciate his ability to listen to me, change his mind and be honest
about it, and his skill at an apparent excellent surgery to remove the
growth.

For women brought up like me--be brave for your little one and calmly and
politely discuss the situation with your vet.  But when you are involved
in a situation where you can clearly see that what your vet is telling you
is wrong--you have to go against the grain and remain firm.  The worst
that can happen, really, is that you will realize that you have to find
another doctor for your little one.

We owe it to helpless others that have no voice, and depend totally on us.

Lisette