Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:15:27 -0400
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
[Sukie note, Prologue: the original person wrote that the vet was not
sure if low blood sugar was diagnostic of insulinoma.  Dr. Karen
Purcell wrote that it is and due to other things suggested that some
further tests, including of kidneys. be done while the ferret is
treated.  This is a post from Dr. Ruth Heller which agrees and has
further points.  I had not realized that some vets might not know
ferrets well enough to trust blood tests for blood glucose so in case
anyone here runs into this problem with lack of ferret-knowledge,
please,use what you learned.]

>This is a new vet for us, as I just moved to Lancaster, PA.  I've been
>told that this animal hospital is the most ferret knowledgable, however
>I'm really doubting at least this vet's knowledge of ferrets.

Not sure where that is, so can't recommend anyone.  Maybe Dr Heller can,
she's in the Pittsburgh area.

Nope, that's the other side of the state from me.  But I have to agree
that the low BG is diagnostic of insulinoma and that a workup to check for
other problems is in order.  If that's okay, then think about surgery.
Otherwise, I would keep him on pred, not taper off, as I remember being
discussed.

Dr. Ruth Heller
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.