From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1993 08:39:18 -0400
Anonymous please Chris.

I find it depressing that the FML is dominated by discussions of various
illnesses lately instead of the more pleasurable aspects of being owned by a
ferret.  Unfortunately I'm going to continue the general trend here, though
with a problem that is less life-threatening than cancers or killer viruses.
Gunter has a reddish black mass in the crevices inside of both ears.  I have
noticed him scratching his ears from time to time when he is not a brown blur
and he seems to enjoy having them lightly rubbed.  The hair in front of the
ears appears to be thinning and there are a few black specks in between the
hairs.  This could be caused by scratching.  The problem is that I live in a
ferret-free state so accessing a vet is difficult.  Assuming that ear mites
are the only likely cause of Gunter's ear problem, is there an
over-the-counter medicine (possibly for cats) that is available to clear up
the mites?  I seem to recall discussion someplace (here?) of an ear drop
product called something like Mitox.  If this is something that can't be
handled at home, I'll definitely take the risk and get G-man to a vet.
Assuming that ear mites are the culprit, what measures should I take to avoid
a recurring problem?

                   Thanks,
                        Gunter +

[Our vet swears by "Tresaderm".  Neomycin Sulfate, Thiabendazole and
Dexamethasone.  By a company called MSD Agvet I believe.  This is
labeled "for veterinary use only".  Dunno whether over-the-counter.]