From:
Mary Richoux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:16:40 -0500
Hello, I'm new to the ferret game and I have a question about separating
two ferrets.  I got my first ferret in July and she is now 3 1/2 months
old.  About one month later, someone at the vet's office posted a note
saying that they had to get rid of their 2 year old female ferret.  I
decided to adopt this ferret.  Each has her own cage and I allow them out
in a ferret-proofed room for about 5 hours a day.  They don't play
violently, but the 2 year old is constantly chasing the baby.  The baby
(Princess) is quite capable of defending herself, and she actually likes
being chased because she will sneak up behind the bigger one (Snowbell)
and get her to chase her (Princess).  Enough of the background, here's
the meat.  I know somebody that has always wanted a ferret.  She asked if
she could have Snowbell (the older one) and I said "no way".  But, now I'm
beginning to feel how hard it is to maintain 2 very large cages.  Other
than the 2 ferrets, I also have 5 cats.  I am considering letting my friend
have the one that I adopted (the older one, Snowbell).  If I do, the two
ferrets would rarely see each other due to my friend's and my conflicting
schedules.  What are the possible effects on the ferrets if I separate
them?  They were both lone ferrets before I put them together.  Also, I
feel terrible about making Snowbell adjust to a new home again.  I know
that my friend will give Snowbell lots of love, just as I do.  What should
I do?  I don't want depressed ferrets because I'll then feel depressed!
Please, I need advice!!!

P.S.  Why do ferrets have such a violent obsession with aluminum cans?
And, does anybody have information about the Ferret Olympics in Dallas?