From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:01:04 -0400
Hi X,
You are asking a tough question.  Do the benefits of surgery (remove the
adrenal gland that has "regrown") to treat the adrenal gland disease
outweight the risk of surgery on a heart patient (death from anesthesia)?
If he makes it through the surgery then yes, but if he dies then no.  The
heart problem would scare me away from surgery.  If it were my ferret then
I would go with Lupron.

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM

PS- there seems to be some confusion and incorrect use of the term
    "ectopic" in regards to adrenal glands.  Ectopic means having adrenal
    tissue outside the adrenal gland (usually in the fat pad by the adrenal
    gland).  Most of you are describing adrenal glands that were not
    completely removed (part of the capsule or gland remains) and with
    time the gland "regrows" and becomes a problem again.