From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:56:41 -0700
Hi Folks,

Ok, last week I announced that Lost Ferrets is coming out of hibernation.
Here is a more lengthy post on the topic.

When Cael got sick, everything in my life went on hold.  Bills, activities
like Lost Ferrets, my social life, my emotions... I spent evenings reading
too him.  The Hobbit.  Snuggled on my bed, him curled up beside me.
Perhaps it seems strange to read too him, but I know he was comforted by
the sound of my voice, and I was running out of things to say to him which
didn't make me cry, so I decided it didn't much matter what I said, so long
as I kept talking.  The Hobbit was the first book I pulled off the shelf.
This is how I spent my evenings for quite some time.  Then there was the
week of numbness after he passed.  I'm afraid a number of my
responsibilities, Lost Ferrets included, went by the wayside for the month
or more this was going on.

Now, my heart is lighter, the initial pain of loss has subsided, and the
blur of hurt in front of my eyes has cleared enough to see that he must
be happier now, he is not in pain, he is in a better place, though I miss
him so.

It was in January of 2000 when I decided to start Lost Ferrets.  It was
also in January, during the design process, that my baby boy Booboo passed.
Lost Ferrets is dedicated to Booboo.  I was about to undergo a face lift
for the site when Cael got sick.  When the new graphics, etc., are
complete, it will be dedicated to Booboo and Cael.  My boys.

Now then, I admit it took me a little while to get here, but Lost Ferrets
has several listings right now!  Please visit and read about the following:

Wink is a chocolate male, lost in Pittsburgh, PA.

Tazzie and Lulu are sables, lost in Aurora, CO.  Their mommy, Kim, has been
keeping her eye out at the local shelters, and also wants everyone to know
there are currently FIVE ferrets at the shelters.

Blue is a female sable, lost in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Also, the Oregon Ferret Shelter has a male sable found in Independence, OR.

If you have any info regarding any of these babies, or would like to read
more about them, please visit http://www.geocities.com/lostferrets and go
to the "Lost and Found Ads" page.

Coming Soon, I will have an online Lost Ferret Poster generation form.
When a person needs to make posters, they will be able to fill out the form
and click submit, and a printable poster will be generated based on the
info given.  I decided to undertake this project while reading advice on
what to include.  I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be easy to have a form
that asks for all the necessary info, that you could fill out online, and
print right from the website?" This way, you don't have to really think
about it.  (I know if any of my babies got lost, it would be easy for
obvious things to slip my mind, like putting an address on the poster, or
something rediculous like that.) I hope to have this up in the next couple
weeks.

Also, at this time I would once again like to ask for anyone with
ferret-proofing tips, or advice on what to do if you lose OR FIND a ferret,
to contact me.  You will join the ranks, alongside Pam Troutman, of STAR,
Randy Horton, our own Ferret Guy, of Especially Ferrets, and Troy Lynn
Eckart, of Ferret Family Services.  Currently, I have three articles on
what to do if you lose a ferret.  I need lots of ferret-proofing tips and
also, if anyone with experience would like to write an article about what
to do if you FIND a ferret, I would be much appreciative.

Well, that is all from Lost Ferrets for now.  I will be posting regularly
with updates on current listings, and goings on, etc.

Melissa Barnes
Mira, Tasha, Robin, Nietzsche and Sammi
Missing Cael and Booboo always
http://www.geocities.com/lostferrets