From:
Jennifer McClanahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:00:06 EDT
Hi, just word from researching on the net and everything about pine or
cedar bedding.  Pine and cedar bedding can be hazardous to your ferrets,
or other small animals.  There is a natural oil or something in cedar or
pine that can cause respitory infections if the animals breath it in.  I
use to use cedar and pine bedding, and it does help with the smell to a
point.  I mean if you like the smell of a forest in your home.  But, just
a word of caution.  It can cause respitory infections in ferrets.  A sign
to know if your ferrets have respitory infection is, they will get a
yellowish color spots, or what looks like dried up snot on there nose, and
it can block there nasal passages.  I have seen this in MANY pet store
ferrets, and have alerted the employess there of the problem.  The last
few batches of ferrets they have had since my complains have seemed to be
o.k.  They were still using the cedar bedding, but, i guess you cant
change everything.  Anyways, when i stopped using the cedar and pine, i
put down linoluim in the bottom of my ferrets cages, and started using cat
litter.  I am still searching for a perfect litter though... looking for
something dust free, and something they cannot inhale.