Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:49:44 EDT
Heidi Lynne wrote:
>In about two months, the Extreme Weezils, the two cats, and us humans will
>be movin' on up to the big time - into our first house!  The proposed new
>Extreme Weezils Ferret Room currently has wall-to-wall carpet, which is
>still fairly new and in great condition.
>Has anyone found a way to ferret-proof an entire floor of good carpet,
>besides removing it?

Hi Heidi,

Congrats on your new home!  I have successfully ferret-proofed a bedroom
for my five weasels for 1.5 years now.  It was brand new carpet and there
was no way I was going to sacrifice it to digging and accidents, let alone
the musky odor.  My husband and I went to Home Depot and bought 4 rolls
of 12 foot vinyl carpet runner($32.00) ,a box of 3/4" Romex electrical
staples($2.00), an 8' X 10' roll of bound, area-rug carpeting($45.00),
and one roll of double-sided carpet tape.  Total cost about $85.00.

Cut the carpet runner to fit along each wall, overlapping the ends in each
corner.  We also cut it to fit the closet.  This protects your carpets
from accidents and scooching in front of the litter boxes.  (One in every
corner, of course!) Then we secured the carpet runner over the existing
carpet by hammering the staples into the floor.  Next, we positioned the
area rug in the center of the room, so it was equally bordered by the
vinyl.  Then, we placed the carpet tape about 3 inches from each edge of
the vinyl, running it the entire length of the carpet.  The reason we use
the carpet tape is to keep crumbs of food and litter,as well as nosey
ferrets from getting under the rug.  Moving it in from the edge allows for
some shifting without exposing the sticky tape.  We secured one edge at a
time until it was fastened on all four sides.  The last step was to secure
the carpet to the floor using the staples, about every 2 feet.  You can
also secure the floor vents by cutting a hole out and leaving each side
covered by a portion of vinyl.

We did this February of 2000 when we moved in, and only recently replaced
it.  The only down-side to this is if the staples get wet, the tongs will
leave rust marks on your underlying carpet.  They might come out with rust
remover.  I didn't try it.  It only happened in a couple spots that I
wasn't too concerned about.  Other than that, I had no damage to my
carpet.  When the odor becomes more than I can stand, I remove everything
from the room including the ferrets.  I use the vacuum attachments to
clean the vinyl.  I vacuum the carpet and scrub the vinyl with cage
cleaner.  Then I use the Resolve foam cleaner, work it in with a scrub
brush, let it dry and vacuum the residue.  I haven't had any problems with
it affecting the ferrets adversely.  I'm afraid to use a steam cleaner
because the underlying carpet might not dry and could mildew.  I have
also used Febreze occasionally, with no side effects.  Just make sure
everything is dry and the room has been well-ventilated before letting
the ferrets back in.

I leave the bottom doors of their cage open so they have access to food,
water and hammies.  In the closet, I also placed a big cardboard box with
an entrance hole cut out, with lots of soft bedding inside.  They actually
prefer to sleep in that most of the time.  I have a black irrigation
tunnel and a clear vinyl tunnel.  I also have a "Ferret-On-Ramp" that a
ferrety friend made for me.  It's basically a Little Tykes sliding board
with carpet glued to the steps and the slide.  Underneath I hung a Ferret
Funhouse.  (It's a canvas-like material, has a hole in the front and
netting on the top).  They like to hang out in there too.  Other than
that, I have lots of toys for them to hide, and for me to seek <G>.

As far as lighting goes, my husband installed a ceiling fan with a light.
It helps to circulate the air and there no lamps for the ferrets to knock
over.

I hope this helps.  The carpet idea might seem like a lot of work, but it
beats having good carpeting in tatters and defiled by urine and feces.
Recently one of my adrenal males(Fozzie) has decided to go in FRONT of
every litter box.  He hits the vinyl every time!  Super easy clean up for
me!  "NO-NO, BAD FERRET FOR HIM!  Then I pick him up and love him anyway.

Good luck with your new home!

Dodie in NJ