From:
Debra Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:27:28 -0400
Hi Everyone,
This is my first posting on the ferret digest so I hope I am doing this
correctly.  I am open to any suggestions or information that anyone is
able toprovide.  My husband and I have always loved ferrets but due to
lack of information on pet store people's parts we were reluctant to
get any.

We are theproud parents of 11 kitty cats ranging in ages of 1yo-13yo(soon
to be 14).  We have always been cat people even though we had a dog many
years ago.  Like I said due to lack of information, never thinking of
searching the web we did not purchase a ferret.

I am pleased and proud to announce that we are new parents of 2 male
Marshall Ferrets.  We have a small local pet store that we have recently
found due to our recent intrest in bettas(oh did I forget to tell you we
have 6, one ea in a 2gal tank) that we love the people that work there.
They are all young knowledgeable people that take the time with the
animals, taking them out, playing with them and lots of handling and love.
Nothing against the major pet stores for you guysthat work at them but I
have been turned off to our local big store.  They know practically
nothing and are not very nice.  So to get back to the subject at hand.We
left Friday night with a 3 story cage, lots of play things and tunnels
and 2 male ferrets that are 2 1/2 mo & 3mo old.  They did come with their
official papers and the girl showed us the tatoo on the ear.  They are
both sable but the younger guy is quite a bit lighter.  They love their
new home even though they were in a nice cage to start with.  We have
learned ALOT in just 2 days time.  They do go in the litter but the older
one seems to bite at the younger one, but only sometimes when he goes in
the litter.  The little one does not have any problems peeing in the
litter but when he poops he can't seem to keep his butt in the litter pan
and I don't know how to help him learn.  We for a bigger type corner box
like they had with them in the store as we have found out that keeping
them with what they are use to(all pets that is) makes the transition
easier.  Any suggestions of anything would be greatly appreciated.

Their names are Michael & Gabriel named after the Archangels.  Michael was
on his harness for the first time today exploring the house and loved it.
We are notferret proof and do not want to let them run on their own.  They
are loveable and greet us with nibbles and kisses every morning.  They
have taught us to be kidsagain too :-).  It is so funny how they will be
running, get tired and just lay down and go to sleep.  Caught one with his
head laying in the food bowl this AM.  We have taken the bottom of the
cage and made it bathroom level because they were so messey and made a
mess out of the towel we had down there.  Second level is for food, water,
sleep sack, hammock and a towel and top level is hanging ferret "castle"
and a fuzzy blanket and a towel.  They seem to like the towel, hammock,
castle and sleep sack the best.  Do you think it might be better for me
to take out the fuzzy blanket and give them towels on the top level?

Someone mentioned a rice sandbox???  What is this???  Is it ok to just
have a bathroom level?  They seem to put things where they want it anyway.

Thanks for such a wonderful informative list

Love & angel ferret hugs
Debbie