From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:02:13 -0500
There are things we can all do to try and stop the sadistic killing of
ferrets at that pound in Las vegas.

1. Pounds/Shelters receive City/County funds to take in the animals from
that area.  We can contact the Mayor.  Can someone find out the contact
information (mailing address, fax, phone) and please post it on the list?

2. We can write polite information letters to the pound in question. Yes,
letters from other than LV residents do make a difference.  But remember,
no matter how angry or sick you are at their treatment of ferrets, if you
letter isn't polite, NONE of the letters will be read.  In particular make
your opening polite so that the entire letter gets read.  If it starts out
"Dear Scumbag" it won't get read.

3. We need someone to find out if there is a board that runs this pound
and then we need the addresses to write to each and every board member.

4. Can someone check the state of Nevada's animal cruelty laws?  This
sadistic torture to kill ferrets can't be legal.  15 minutes to strangle?
Death is bad enough but to struggle frantically in such extreme fear....
This cannot be legal.

5. Can someone forward the article to the animal agencies that work on
these issues, even if only for publicity?  PETA, HSUS, ASPCA, Friends of
Animals, Fund for Animals, etc.  Most have web addresses.  If you do a
search on animal welfare or animal rights the sites should come up.

6. Write to the governor of Nevada.  If you were governor would you want
this to be spread far and wide?

Spread the word!  Instead of becoming inactive, BECOME PROACTIVE.  Each
day we ignore this issue a ferret may suffer and die in extreme fear and
pain!!!!

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services