From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 12:28:29 -0400
Regarding the post expressing concern about the BFF in the Phoenix zoo; on
three separate occasions our organization presented an enormously detailed
proposal to build, house and maintain any and all black-footed ferrets
deamed non-releasable by the federal BFF Recovery Program wildlife
biologists.  The first proposal, in 1995, was met with general indifference
and some grumbling over small details.  Our second proposal, in 1996,
resonded to those details and added other information we felt needed to be
addressed after the inappropriate release of old and debilitated BFFs.  The
second proposal was just ignored.  Our third proposal went to the (Ted)
Turner Foundation where we were invited to submit a request for funds for
environmental projects.  It was also ignored.  Turner, to his credit, did
go on to provide habitat and funding for BFFs on his land holdings and even
translocated prairie dogs as a prerequisite for receiving BFFs from the
Federal Government.  Each of our proposals involved weeks, if not months,
of preparation.  They addressed virtually every aspect of such a project,
including the comfort and welfare of the animals, public education, limited
display in a natural setting and rotation of display animals, tours of the
facility and cooperation with the U.S.  Fish & Wildlife Service in student
education in recovery of endangered species.  Our qualifications included a
Masters in wildlife biology, a degree in veterinary nursing, five years
working first hand with black-footed ferrets, resources in private funding
to operate the facility, a veterinary training program among others.  In
additon to being ignored, rumors were spread regarding our educational
claims and the USFWS contended that no such facility was needed since all
"surplus" (their term, not ours) BFFs could be placed in zoos or used as
subjects for vaccine and disease testing.  Many BFFs have sadly gone just
this way.  We have received numerous reports and photos of BFFs in
deplorable display conditions.  Laboratory faciilites have killed countless
BFFs in testing programs.  A humane, educational facility, such as we
proposed twice to the U.S.  Fish & Wildlife Service, should be an ethical
requirement of the BFF Recovery Program.  We intend to resubmit our
proposal in the next year.  It is impossible to count how many "surplus"
BFFs have suffered and died in zoos and in the back rooms of breeding and
laboratory facilities.  The BFF Recovery Program is funded by the taxpayer.
If President Bush cuts or eliminates funding, hundreds of black-footed
ferrets will be thrown into limbo.  With no facility to receive and care
for them, and no funds to maintain them, many will be dumped out on the
prairie where there is no food due to a scarcity of prairie dog habitat;
the balance will be euthanized.  You are the taxpayer and this is your
program.  Write to the US Fish & Wildlife Service, Office of the Regional
Director, P.O.Box 25486, Denver, CO 80226 and/or to Dr. Pete Gober,
National BFF Coordinator, 335 S. Pierre St., Pierre, SD 57501, and to
the President regarding cuts in funding.  Emails are ignored so if you do
write, a short, personal note on a postcard is best.

Carolyn Kinsey/Andy Abate
Society for the Protection and Conservation of the Black-Footed Ferret.
(Free membership send SASEto: SPCBFF, P.O. Box 15194, Colorado Springs,
CO 80935)