From:
Lori Crosland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 14:14:03 EDT
Let me start by saying that I commend CJ again for all of her hard work.  I
have in no means meant to accuse her of not cleaning or anything like that.
Let me tell you (and many of you with a "business of ferrets know this
already).  Upkeep on just a few is hard.  I have had 5.  I have one that
refuses to use the litter box.  Although their room is incredible with toys
and cages etc.  it also smells because there are so many stains on the
carpet from the misuse of litterboxes.  Everytime I bring home a new baby
they have to get used to the new area and the litterboxes.  Can you imagine
taking care of 50+ with little or no help?  I can't.  Just this morning I
went into the ferrets room and one of my guys (I know it's Merlin) had left
a trail of piles of poop and pee for me to clean.  Thanks Merlin & good
morning to you too!  I had to get to cleaning right away.  So my point is.
Running a shelter seems very hard and I know CJ does the best she can.  I
am sure all the fuzzies there are well treated, they just need a home to
get some more individual attention that's all.  So no offense to CJ, She
is doing a great job.

Now,
My New opinion on adopting ferrets.  I have now adopted two of CJ's
ferrets: Madison and Joey.  She has had them for a couple of years.  I was
a little nervous because I know Joey has sharp teeth and bites harder (not
trying to be mean) and can even draw blood (as my husband found out last
night playing to rough).  He did not mind though.  When I first brought
them home, I put them in a new cage and let them rest and get used to the
area.  Later that night, my 9 year old daughter Sabrina and I brought them
upstairs to free roam in my room.  I have never seen a pair of ferrets war
dance so much in my life.  Sabrina and I both cried just knowing we did a
good thing.  I always thought my new ferrets had to be babies.  I was
wrong.  I already love these two as much as my 5 I brought home as babies.
Know what's even better?  They use the litter box.  They know how to get
to their food and water.  No watering down the food or anything.  (I
personally love that!).  Just now I had Joey and Madison upstairs again.
They played and romped and dooked and all.  Joey came over and laid his
head on my foot and I cried again.  Adoption is worth it folks.  Take it
from me.  The older one's are just as lovable as the adorable little
babies.  One word to the wise though: Make sure your area is ferret
proofed.  These guys were smarter than I expected and can get into every
cupboard and open the doors.  Madison even crawled under the door today
(she is so tiny) and was romping around the living room happily when I
found her.  Please adopt.  It's worth it.  You will feel the "warm-fuzzy"
in your heart like I did.

Thanks Again,
Lori, Hocus, Pocus, Charm, Magic, Merlin & the wonderful new adoptees:
Joey & Madison.