From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:50:42 -0400
>It is not only the customer who is putting looks first, but many breeders
>of all sizes (not just the big farms) and also the show sanctioning
>organizations who have specialty classes just for blazes, pandas and
>dark-eyed whites.
>
>Several months ago this discussion came up, and I posted a challenge to
>show sanctioning organizations to come up with ideas for how to discourage
>breeding for these traits without necessarily disqualifying those that had
>them.  I heard not one word from any group.
>
>Linda Iroff

Excellent points, Linda!  Yes, show groups should be discouraging types
that so often have handicaps or health/longevity reductions.  To place a
look before health just doesn't make sense; it's not a loving thing to do
by my way of thinking, and it isn't as if coloration such as blaze or panda
can be separated from the risk.  Yes, the trait has variable expression
but the exact same genetic allele that causes the problems causes those
markings; it can't be separated out and the risks can not be eliminated.
That's just basic genetics.

BTW, DEWs might be due, at least some of the time, to a different genetic
variation.

>Does any one have any information on Path Valley Farm ferrets?  We are
>thinking of getting one but we are trying not to get any babies that are
>prone to health problems like Marshall Farms ones.  Any help or advice is
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Ruby

Ruby, we have had ferrets from a good range of places over the past 19
years and MF and PV aren't any different from just about anyone else's
ferrets in terms of health or longevity, but there are always other issues
to tackle with any large farm.  The rumors out there are worse than the
reality.  There have also been problems with backyard breeders' ferrets
passed off as coming from other sources which is a real problem.  If you
want the best chance of having healthy stock then go to a private breeder
who actually tracks the health and longevity of the lines.  Some do not,
and some only track the ones they retain instead of those who are sold.
Try to find someone who tracks all, and INSIST on seeing the set-up,
because while the best are conscientious private breeders the worst (for
the ferrets' health and longevity) are backyard breeders and some of those
lie through their teeth about what they are doing as became obvious with
the Christmas Rescues.  Oh, and make sure they test for ADV and are
negative while you are at it; I have not, yet, heard of that in any of the
four most common large farms but have in some private breeders' homes (and
NOT necessarily the ones that people pass rumors about since rumors are
notoriously wrong).

>A lady rescued a ferret from a pet store window that was severly sun
>burned (especially on her head).  And had missing fur.  I was wondering
>how she is doing.  hope everything goes well for you.
>
>Tiffany & Sassy

The pet store did not cause her sunburn woes; those were due to whomever
dumped her in front of the store in the sun with her bald skin for
long-untreated adrenal disease.  Maria is her name and she will have
surgery tomorrow, as per Lisette's note.

 -----

Have been asked how to find ferret health info; by saving and using these
addies below a person can find or link to info on just about any health
thing that has been written up: