Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:53:48 EDT
Hello all,

Our hearing in the Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee will be on Tuesday,
July 10th.  The Committee meets at 9:00 a.m. in Room 437 of the Capitol
Building.

Please visit our website and see if you have a representative on that
committee.  If you do, you must write to them immediately and have your
friends and family members in that district write as well!  This committee
will be our most difficult committee so we need your help!

Remember, write your letter, then have friends, family members and
co-workers contact their representatives now!  I would appreciate any
feedback you receive from any members of the Assembly and in particular
this committee (I don't mean the kind of letter where the representative
says "I'll keep your views in mind", but a yes or no letter).

You can see the list of the members of the Water, Parks and Wildlife
Committee on our website at http://www.ferretnews.org.  Please note that
there is an error in the list.  Assemblymember Carol Liu is not a member
of this committee but Howard Wayne is.  His contact information is below:

Howard Wayne    (D-78)  tel(916)319-2078, fax(916)319-2178
Areas representing:  Part of San Diego's coastal district from La Jolla to
Imperial Beach including Coronado, Mission Bay, Balboa Park and a large
portion of downtown San Diego.

Ferret voting history: voted yes last session.  Please thank this member for
supporting ferret legalization and encourage him to continue his support.

Signatures for the Governor!!!

We have only about six weeks before the deadline for the signatures can be
guaranteed to get to the governor in time (August first delivery to the
address below) for him to consider them when reviewing our bill.  We should
be able to get 50,000 signatures if each of you commits to at least 100!
I know you can do it and it can be fun.  But most of all, do it for the
safety of your pets!  Imagine, they can be legal citizens of this state,
but not if we don't get those signatures!!!

We've had tremendous support from PetCo for our effort.  Each PetCo store
now has two or more of our Wanted Posters hanging in over 100 California
stores.  But that doesn't add to our signature count and that's what we
need right now!  Attached is an adobe acrobat file of all of the PetCo's
and PetsMart locations in the state, thanks to Lee of LOSSF.  You will
probably find PetCo is more supportive (I've never had a response from any
PetsMart for help) so I suggest you try to work with PetCo first!  I
recommend you call the stores nearest you and ask if you can sit outside
and collect signatures for an afternoon.  You can' believe the response
you'll receive-- it's great!

Great jobs so far by Suni, Scott, Milos, Claudia, Robin, "Wild Bill",
Tammy, Austin, Shelly, Lynn, Pat and many more who know I've missed but
you know who you are!  I'd love to be able to deliver 50,000 signatures
but that means that all of you must collect 100 or more signatures.  I
know you can do it!

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Rd.