Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 00:31:57 -0400
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>I was wondering if anyone had any information about strokes in ferrets.
>
>I took her to our vet who confirmed my suspicions, but she said our
>ferret's heart sounded good and there was no weakness in her hind legs.
>
>She was prescribed one 50mg tablet of Vivitonin which was crushed in 20mls
>of Nutrigel and I was told to give her 1/2ml twice a day until finished.
>
>Is there any other form of medication that can be given to a ferret with
>strokes?  My vet didn't know.

Dear XXXXXXXX:

To my knowledge, strokes have never been diagnosed in ferrets - nor have I
ever seen evidence of intracranial hemorrhages in ferrets.  In your post,
you do not mention the results of any bloodwork that has been done - as to
whether a blood glucose or CBC was done, or other tests that were performed
to rule in or out other causes of neurologic disease.

I have misgivings about the attribution of these symptoms to a condition
which has never been identified in a particular species - without
additional testing, I fear that many more likely diagnoses may have been
overlooked.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at