From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 16:37:53 -0400
>Hi folks.  I have a elderly guy named Moose who has a prolapsed rectum
>and Coccidia.  Anyway my vet gave me some Otomax cream for his hiney.
>This contains Gentamician which I searched in the archives and only came
>across people using if ears...and that it wasn't for use on ferrets.
>
>Has anyone else used this on a prolapsed rectum, it seems to be helping
>somewhat.

I would have some concern in the use of this product on the inflamed rectum
of a ferret, due to the potential for absorption.  This is not a product
that is marked for ferrets, who are uniquely susceptible to gentamicin.

Otomax contains gentamicin (for bacteria), clotrimazole (for yeast) and
betamethasone (for inflammation.).  However, there is no need for the
gentamicin or clotrimazole on a prolapsed rectum - it is likely that the
working ingredient is betamethasone in this case, and you can probably do
as well with a combination of 0.1% hydrocortisone cream and Preparation H.
There is no antibacterial or antifungal requirement here.

It is also likely that once the coccidia has been controlled, and the
straining that accompanies the diarrhea, that the prolapse will
spontaneously correct.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at