From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 17:11:01 -0400
The Regents of the Smithsonian have gone against G. W. Bush and his
appointee, L. Small and have refused to close the Fort Royal conservation
location, despite the president's budget and the director's directives.
There are still other things the Smithsonian will lose, but between

1. scientists complaining about throwing away this treasure which has
helped Black Footed Ferrets (which Cheney calls "vermin") among many
other species,

2. voters and Smithsonian members not wanting it lost,

and

3. a number of contributions, including the largest research contribution
they have ever received

Fort Royal has been saved so far!

Here's a strongly felt "Good work!" and "Thank you!" to everyone who did
so much to save this essential species conservation treasure!

At times the good guys win when people just plain care enough to TRY!

(Now, let's continue to try in relation to legalization for CA, for NYC,
for Washington D.C., and the few others.  BTW, the major NYC papers are
NY Times, Daily News, NY Post, and Newsday, if memory serves.  ***BILL,
am I right?***  [Newsday doesn't publish a NYC edition anymore, but it is
quite influential nonetheless.  And let's not forget The Voice... perfect
medium for this type of thing.  BIG]

People SUCCEEDED in recent years with Michigan, Maryland, Massachusetts,
and others, so it CAN be done!  We succeeded in getting ferrets on the
Compendium of Animal Rabies Control with 10 years of work -- from vaccine
development to USDA vaccine approval through viral shedding studies to
having them finally as protected as dogs and cats once they are vaccinated.
We have succeeded many times, and we can and will succeed again!  All it
takes is your help.)