From:
Mary McCarty - Houser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 12:27:44 -0700
>>If I were to enter a show (I don't because of the health risks), I
>>certainly would want to know that all the other ferrets in attendance
>>were completely healthy and disease free.  This is where I am confused
>>by some of the posts.  Who wouldn't want this and why?
>
>There is testing all the ferrets and there is selected testing.  The show
>under discussion did not have a written policy that all ferrets in the
>room be tested, just those being shown.  Those ferrets being shown are
>those most likely to have full medical attention already.

As many people have pointed out, having a healthy looking ferret is in no
way indicative of that ferret's ADV status.  The show staff is responsible
for the disinfection of the judges/tables between showing ferrets and as
there does not seem to be a way to completely ensure killing the virus (as
discussed in previous posts), requiring testing is another way to help
ensure a safer show.  Being 90% sure is better than just guessing, in my
opinion.

I agree that those ferrets brought for adoption or sale are just as at
risk, but that is up to the shelters/breeders as to who they allow to
touch/intermingle with those ferrets.  I would hope that those
shelters/breeders are testing and that they are taking proper disinfection
procedures for people who want to handle those ferrets.

Personal responsibility will have to play a big part in fighting this
disease in any public forum.  ADV is *not* the only thing that a ferret
can catch at a show or any other public area.  By letting a ferret run all
over the floor, intermingle with unknown ferrets, letting strangers touch
or hold a ferret (when you don't know what other ferrets they have touched
and held), when you touch or hold an unknown ferret without disinfecting,
you are only putting your ferrets at unnecessary risk.

>We shouldn't make this a "us against them".  The show in question is not
>a popular show....

The only negative feedback the show committee has received is in regard
to the ADV policy.  So while you may feel it's not a popular show, other
people obviously do not share that feeling, as told by the number of
entries they have received.

This discussion is about ADV testing policies in regard to shows, not
personal conflicts, so please let's leave it at that.

Mary

=====
Mary McCarty-Houser, Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association of Centre County
http://www.ferretrescue.com