Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 19:59:40 -0400
From:
Linda Eads <[log in to unmask]>
Hi.  I am new to this list and this is the first time I have posted to it.
I am a little afraid of upsetting people with what I have to say, but that
it not my intention and I hope nobody takes this personally.

I am a ferret lover and I understand how you can end up with more ferrets
than you had planned on, as I have 6 of them.  My 6 are a handful, but that
is because it is a lot easier to take care of more ferrets if you cage
them, but mine are free-roaming ferrets and when they are awake, demand my
full attention (playing, cuddling, etc.).  So I understand that you could
have more ferrets if they are caged ferrets.  But I recently found out that
someone has 50 ferrets.  And I can not see how any one can give 50 ferrets
the attention that they need, with having all those cages to clean daily
(I am sure that there aren't 50 cages, but still), taking care of a parent
who is wheel-chair bound, a dog, a cat, running errands and volunteering
all the time.  I am sure that this person loves each and everyone of these
ferrets.  I am just shocked that there are no laws in my area that limits
how many ferrets someone can have (nor how many cats).  I know people who
have like 20 ferrets and I just know that I would be overwhelmed, but 20
some odd ferrets is a whole lot less than 50 - It's more than double.  I
don't know if this person can handle 50 ferrets and even if she can, with
there being no limits on how many one household can have, there is nothing
preventing just anybody from getting an outrageous number and any ferret
shelter, I'm sure, can tell you what happens when people (no matter how
well meaning) decide later down the road, that they "bit off more than they
can chew" - the ones to suffer are the ferrets.  Does anyone know how I or
someone else goes about trying to get this "owning limitless numbers of
ferrets" changed to putting some kind of limit to it?  Again, I hope I have
not upset anybody.  Thanks