From:
Patricia Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:10:56 EST
I recived this today and think that we should all help so I have sent it
to all of you here at the FML.  Please help

Thank you
Patricia and the Fuzzie Trio.

Dear WWF Conservation Action Network Activist:

The black-footed ferret, one of the most endangered animals in North
America, is threatened because the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is
allowing people to shoot prairie dogs, the ferrets' primary food source.
Please go to http://takeaction.worldwildlife.org/ to send free messages
urging BLM officials to prohibit prairie dog shooting in the ferrets'
recovery area in Montana.

Black-footed ferrets were considered extinct until a few survivors were
found in Wyoming in 1982.  Since then a successful captive breeding and
reintroduction effort has raised hopes that the ferret will recover.  But
recovery is impossible unless prairie dogs remain available as a food
source for the ferrets.  And the number of prairie dogs is dwindling due
to disease, poisoning, and recreational shooting.  Some people shoot
several dozen prairie dogs each day.  The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
has urged the BLM, which manages the public land within the black-footed
ferret recovery area, to put an end to the shooting.  Last year, the BLM
closed 15 prairie dogs towns to shooting.  But that amount is insufficient.
It is essential that the BLM also close an area known as the "7-kilometer
ferret recovery area" in Montana and reintroduce prairie dogs there in
order to rebuild their populations.  Please act today and help save the
black-footed ferret from extinction.