From:
Gary Kaskel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:01:48 -0500
What's happening in NYC these days?  Well...

Intro 627 -- the ferret regulation bill, which legalizes ferrets in NYC,
was endorsed by the ASPCA, the Humane Society of NY, the Animal Medical
Center and the NYC Veterinary Medical Association.  A hearing was held in
December in the Health Committee of the NY City Council and we expect it
to go to the floor of the council for a vote pretty soon.

We've started a telephone lobbying campaign to get those politicans moving.
If you live in the five boroughs of NYC, makes daily calls to:

Victor Robles, chairman, Health Committee: 212-788-6856
Peter Vallone, speaker, NY City Council: 212-788-7210 (ask for Gary Altman)

and tell them you want Intro 627--the ferret bill--voted on as soon as
possible.

In the courts...
The citizens' lawsuit against the City for including ferret on a list of
prohibited animals also moves forward.  A motion to compel Mayor Giuliani
and the four Board of Health members to appear for oral depositions should
be decided shortly.  This case will be moot if Intro 627 passes.  We all
hope for that!