From:
Manuel Gonzales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:07:31 -0700
Since Ferret Guy's internet has been down for so long I thought I would
post what has been happening at Especially Ferrets.

First the bad news.

Ferret Guy (Randy) has had a set back with his heart problems.  This week
he was in intensive care due to a build up of fluids in his body.  He is
back home now, but has heart failure.

Ferret Gal (Gloria) fell and broke her elbow and will it will take some
time to heal.

They could use your prayers and healing thoughts.

Especially Ferrets
718 Uvalda
Aurora, CO 80011
303-343-6460

Now the good news.
Sasha came to us very sick last week.  She was taken to one of our vets and
was diagnosed with Helicobacter infection.  Saturday she was hemorrhaging
and needed a blood transfusion.  Our two healthy shelter ferrets Steve and
Carl became her heroes and donated their blood.  Later that day she was
brought to me to give 24 hour care over the weekend.  I was checking on her
every half hour.  At 12 AM I found her hemorrhaging again and put in a
emergency call to our vet.  There was little that could be done at this
point.  We increased her carafate and was told that prognoses was very
poor.  As I sat there holding Sasha and giving her a high calorie wet food
from a small 3cc syringe, I was deep in thought of what else I could do and
didn't realize what was happening with her and what I was doing.  I was
dipping the syringe, sucking up the wet food and giving it to that hungry
little tongue, over and over again until I realized that I had given her
the whole bowl (40cc).  She got stronger with every mouthful and was hungry
for more.  I feed her 10cc every half hour for the next 2 hours then 10cc
every hour until 7 AM when we looked at each other and decided it was now
time to sleep and rest for a little while.  It is now 6 days since and
little Shasha has tried a little Totally Ferret (just a few bits) and eats
80 to 100cc a day (she still wants more, I don't need to force this).  She
drinks lots of water on her own and Monday I can take her off her meds.
She is gaining weight, stools are almost normal and she wants to play and
get into mischief.  Please pray for her full recovery.  She has such a will
to live.  I know God listens, He answered my prayer for her that night when
I was holding her and didn't know what to do.

Jan, one of the sick room Moms at Especially Ferrets Shelter