From:
Shirley Hewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 19:25:44 +1000
Dear Linda,
Happy Birthday!!

In Western Australia, it's not unusual for ferrets to come into season at
5 months.  However, I consider some of them to be babies at that age still
and prefer to have them undergo, what is quite major surgery, at a later
stage.  Depends on the particular ferret.  If you have a couple of big
buxom girls, I would go ahead with surgery.  If they are still a bit
"babyish", I would defer the spey until a later date.

I don't consider the mating and ensuing phantom pregnancy after using a V.
hob or hormone injection to be traumatic to the girls.  They are ruled by
their hormones, it is true, but it is a natural occurrence and once it is
over, it is over, with no lasting side effects.  The greatest trauma may
be to the other ferrets who have to suffer a hormonal "mother" treating
them as kits and making them stay in bed all day!

The youngest female I have seen come into heat (she was not mine) was at
3 months.  She was a big girl so was speyed.

Whether or not they can be kept in the same cage also depend on the
particular ferrets.  Mostly they will do so gladly and treat each other
as kits when their hormones tell them to.

From my experience, waiting for two weeks before giving the hormone
injection is more effective.  If given too soon, sometimes the injection
has no effect.

Whatever decision you come to.  I'm sure it will be for the best for
Cassie & Andi.

Good luck.
Love & Dooks
Shirley.