From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:10:58 -0700
Ferret Rescue in Colorado Springs wrote:
>I tremble at the thought of a State as large as California legalizing
>them.  Seems like so many people are fighting to make that come about
>but it will be a disaster for ferrets.

My apologies for posting anonymously... you know the reason.  I think you
are not the only one inclined towards this idea.  I myself have to agree
with the sentiment behind your statement, if not the conclusion.  However,
I just don't think that a complete, unconditional and unforgiving ban
against ferrets in any state is the right solution.  There are too many
caring pet owners here who are afraid about who might enter their house in
an emergency, who fear for their ferrets' safety when driving them to the
vet, who can't have visitors over, who have to carefully hide every shred
of evidence when a repair person comes to work, and who can't share their
joy and enthusiasm with even their closest friends.  Having ferrets illegal
in California without banning them everywhere else in the country is pure
prejudice.

I would love to see an amendment to SB1093 that reads something like:
"When ferrets are removed from the list of wild animals, no pet store may
be allowed to sell ferrets."  Or: "No person may legally own a ferret who
has not first taken a class on proper ferret care and the responsibilities
of pet ownership."  Unfortunately, no such bill would be likely to pass.
There are already too many pointless objections to ferrets (like their
blood-lust and their hunger for prairie dogs and other native creatures)
that any legitimate concerns such as, say, animal welfare would just push
things over the edge.

Even if responsible ferret ownership can't (or won't) be mandated by law,
there are still many things that can be done to mitigate the impact of
impulse-buying.  I think that good education is really key, and I hope that
anyone pushing for ferret ownership in California will work just as hard
after they become legal to educate potential owners about the amount of
time and care required.  I think it would be a great idea if experienced
ferret owners in California would volunteer their time to offer free
courses to first-time owners.  When the time comes, I would be happy to
organize such an effort.

Hugs and snuffles,
 Julie