From:
"Shortley, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 18:29:53 -0400
Hi Kat and everyone.
Kat expressed these concerns to me privately and I responded privately not
realizing that she would post her concerns to the FML.  I think my response
to her questions deserve a public response so here is what I wrote:

Hi Kat!
Thanks for the feedback on the ADV testing.  I agree with you that ADV
testing should be mandatory for ALL ferrets entering the show hall.  You
have no idea how much grief we've gotten from the ferret community on even
stating that testing was mandatory for the ferrets being shown.  You'd
think that the owners, shelters and breeders would be all for protecting
their pets and their lines.

The reason that we are not requiring ALL ferrets to be tested is this:

We decided to try and compromise in an effort to set an example that a safe
show can still be a successful show.  If we stuck to our guns and tested
all ferrets entering the hall AND did mandatory at the door testing and no
one comes to our show - or we have to cancel the show due to lack of funds,
what kind of example does that set for other organizations wishing to
follow in our footsteps?  It shows that if you want to make money for your
shelter, don't do the ADV testing because it will kill your show.

We are making an attempt to require testing, and hopefully set the standard
for future shows having testing policies as well.  No, this step is not
fool-proof.  But it IS better than what was in place before - nothing.
It's a work in progress.  Rome wasn't built in a day and we're hoping that
we're laying the foundation to push this ADV testing thing along.  That's
all we can really do at this point.

As for the statement on the ferret leaving the premisis.  You are
absolutely right about the sanitizing etc of the owner of that ferret.  We
have two people onhand to discuss precautions that will need to be taken.
That will be one of the things discussed - no doubt about it.

And obviously, if the owner wished to return to the show, it would only
be because they found a safe place for their ferret - not to place them
waiting in the car.

While I hope that no one tests positive at our show and no one is put in
this position, I know we need to be prepared for the "just in cases".

The test administrator will be sanitizing between all ferrets.  As little
contact with the ferret will be practiced.  For the most part, the owner is
capible of scruffing, the test administrator will be swabbing the gums and
then completing the test.  And once each one is complete, sanitizing.  The
administrator will have as little contact with each ferret as possible.

I hope this helps address your concerns!  Any other questions of concerns
please send them on over to me.  It really helps to give us all the
possible prospectives and will ultimately allow us to be prepared for
everything at the show.

Thanks!
Lisa