From:
Marc Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:57:24 EST
Hello everyone!

I had to come out of lurker mode to respond to a recent post by Ferretguy.
Let me state up front that I am NOT a doctor!

>Ferrets don't have dander like cats, dogs, and birds        True

Websters dictionary defines dander as "minute scales from fur, feathers or
skin that can act as an allergen [something that causes allergies -- my
addition]." So ferrets do in fact have dander.  So the answer should be
false.

>People can be allergic to ferrets                          False

Yes, people can be allergic to ferrets.  Allergies are caused by the body's
overreaction to the presence of foreign proteins in the body (allergens).
Any protein entering our body can act as an allergen.  Some examples of
ferret-related proteins that might enter our bodies ... fur, saliva, dead
skin particles and dander.  Any one these proteins can cause an allergic
reaction in a person.

In summary -- people can be allergic to ferrets.  Now, having said that,
let me state that the severity of that reaction also depends on that
particular person's body chemistry and on the amount of exposure they have
to the allergen.  Most allergies are very treatable.  I have allergies.
I also have 3 ferrets and a dog.  I'm allergic to them all.  But I take
medicine and get allergy shots and I'm doing fine.

So while I support the message Ferretguy is trying to impart to us, I can't
support all of his statements.  People can be allergic to ferrets.  However
these allergies are in fact treatable and exposure to allergens can be
minimized.

Back to lurker mode!

Marc Wilson and the New Tres Amigos (Rocky, Sam and Chloe)