From:
Noelle Bochichio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:25:40 -0500
Hi all. This could be a really dumb question but...

Within the last couple of months, I carpeted the ramps in the ferrets cage
with very low pile carpeting.  I've now noticed that one of my four ferrets
in particular, has bare spots (not to the skin, but close - almost appears
like short white hairs) on his rear feet (underside, heel end).  He usually
slides down the ramps, since the carpet is low pile, it appears that he
can't get a good grip.  Now I'm thinking that he's getting rug burn on his
feet!  Or, has it been there all along and I just never noticed?  He's
young (8 months).  I checked my other 3 ferrets, and they appear to have
this as well, only to a much lesser degree.  They're also much lighter than
he is so it's more noticeable on him.  Does anyone know if this is natural
or am I giving them rug burn?  What kind of carpeting is everyone using on
their ramps and is this happening to you?  Thanks in advance!

-- Noelle