From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:49:14 EST
What a great outpouring of support you've all given the ferrets left
homeless in NJ!  I got e-mail from Judith White--SOS has received almost
$3000 in donations as of Tuesday!!  That is great news, as our vet bills
will well exceed $4000 by the time they've all been treated, vaccinated,
tested for ADV and altered.  This rescue belongs to the entire ferret
community, as it couldn't have been done without everyone's help, hard work
and cooperation.  I am looking into some other avenues to pay some of these
bills, and any monies left over after all medical bills are paid will be
given directly to SOS for a slush fund to help any shelter faced with this
type of situation that might arise again.

I'm hoping some good will come of this in the long run, with some new
legislation or more enforcement of laws that are already on the books.

Some statistics on these ferrets:

They go through at least two loads of clean laundry a day.
They eat about 15 pounds of food a day
They go through 25 pounds of litter a day
They eat a quart of "mush" (duck soup) a day

Since they've been here, we've gone through LOTS of Band-Aids :-)  In all
seriousness, many of the ones that were biting the first couple days have
calmed to the point that they no longer are, or are nipping at the worst.
There are about 7 that are truly bad biters, and will need intensive rehab
at shelters before placement.  May of them are turning into absolute
mush-pots, to the point that they practically cry when you put them down.
They are just craving attention!  A lot of them are still really scared
and shaken, and dragging their bedding into the liter pan to sleep as it
gives them a sense of security.

There are 13 Marshall's ferrets ranging in age from under one to about
three (most are around one!).  They are a hoot to watch, they literally
jump up and down in the play area because they can.  They seem to love
other ferrets, all became immediate "new best friends".

Patty from MetroFerret and Lex came to help with cages last night.  It was
great--we were able to scoop every pan, medicate all the ferrets and force
feed and re-hydrate a couple others, all before 10:00pm.  Then Jim and I
collected the samples for the ADV testing on all that hadn't yet been done.
It is so much easier now that it is a saliva test from Avecon!

Fugly is going home with Anastasia tonight.  Now that he is cleaner, it is
becoming apparent that he is a GORGEOUS ferret.  Huge too!  He is playful
and sweet natured.

The Totally Ferret that Dr. Willard sent arrived yesterday, and just in
time, as we were out of it.

We also got yesterday:

*The much needed high backed litter pans that JD from Widget's Halfway
 House sent.
*A box of toys that Brenda S. sent.
*A Gift Certificate for the Ferret Store from Barbara, which we'll use to
 get more litter

I had to laugh about Ronnie's post about the trip to Disney World.  About
a week before these ferrets came into our lives, Jim and I had agreed to
co-present at a conference in Miami in March.  So about the time the last
ferrets go to their new homes, we'll be gearing up for a working vacation
in Florida.  Not Disney World, but palm trees none the less.  The best
part is that it's free :-)

Anne