From:
Sue Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:09:03 EST
I would like to thank everyone who emailed and/or phoned me while Jonesy
was so ill after his surgery.  I don't think we would have made it through
if it hadn't been for all of you.  The outpouring of support, advise,
knowledge is too numerous to mention names here but THANK YOU ALL!!!

Jonesy is much much better.  Found him in his hammy this morning!!!!
First time since the surgery.  Son was feeding him for me this week while
I put in some grueling 12 hour shifts.  He SPOILED him.  Jonesy now expects
a treat after he eats!  Also, I caught Jonesy eating from his food bowl
yesterday and when he saw me he looked like the cat that ate the canary..
opps and ran to his hidey sack!  Talk about cute!  Well, guess he let the
cat out of the bag and Mom now knows that he is also eating his kibble!!
He is still gaining strength..nowhere near pre surgical strength, but
gaining so that is good.  He has lost over 10 ounces since the 9th of Feb,
and I hope he will gain it back.  Took him to the vet yesterday..she was
amazed!  Guess she would be since she had hinted at putting him down the
last time she saw him.

His first post surgical BS was 75..yesterday it was 68.3 so I decided to
raise his dose of Pediapred.  I changed him to pediapred from prednisolne
(got a script from a cardiac surgeon I work with).  Vet doesn't want me
to change dosage, but oh well, I did.  He is now getting 0.7ml/2xday which
is up from 0.5ml/2xday.  I am wondering if the surgery was worth it since
the blood sugar is not really that much better and he will have to remain
on the pred.  I am going to purchase a blood sugar monitor and start
monitoring his BS here at home..I can do it lots cheaper than running him
to the vet and I can do it more often than she wants it done..that way I
can really keep on top of him.  Guess I have become more assertive now
that Jonesy has lived through this.

Dehydration is gone and he is drinking entirely on his own.  No More subq
fluids (my family is relieved at that)!  Still offering him supplemental
feedings several times a day..gotta fatten him up.  I have him on
amoxicillin, and am leary about taking him off it, since that and the
pepcid seemed to precipitate the return to health.  Did stop the pepcid
though.

Thank you all!
Sue and Jonesy